We’ve discussed several excellent free process viewers like What’s Running, Process Hacker and Microsoft Process Explorer, this time our old friend violent_ken, who is also the developer of Yet Another Duplicate File Remover( the best open source Duplicate File Finder ), brings us an unbelievable free and open source process manager program for Windows.
YAPM – Yet Another Process Monitor, is a free process viewer and manipulator which has a MS Office Ribbon style, it provides amazing rich features to us, including:
- Allows us to view and manage running processes, tasks, jobs, services, threads, modules, handles, as well as active network connections.
- Enumerate and list hidden processes.
- Supports operating on local and remote computers.
- Search and list any processes/modules/environment variable/services/handles/windows which match the search criteria.
- Allows to kill, pause, resume, set the priority of any process.
- Verify signatures of processes.
- Log all actions made by a particular process.
- Save and explorer a snapshot of the system which contains all the information of the running processes, tasks, jobs, services, threads, modules, handles, active network connections.
- Allows to find the process associated with a window/dialog by dragging and dropping the target to the destination window, this feature is similar to microsoft spy++.
- Build-in hex editor to view memory of specific process.
- Allows to view the file property, file details of any process.
- View and copy the following attributes of a process: PID, username, parent name, cpu usage, average cpu usage, total cpu time, handle count, thread count, working set, priority, path, parent id, kernel cpu time, user cpu time, start time, run time, gdi objects, user objects, affinity mask, in job, elevation, being debugged, owned process, system process, service process, critical process, peak working set, page fault count, page file usage, peak page file usage, quota paged pool usage, read operation count, write operation count, read transfer count, write transfer count, total IO delta, command line, description, version, company, IsWow64, pending task count, object creation date, etc.
- View and copy the following properties of an active network connection: local ip, remote ip, protocol( TCP/UDP/TCP6/UDP6 ), state, local port, remote port, process, process id, etc. It allows to close selected connection and ping its remote ip address.
- List all services and allows to modify the start type to auto start/on demand/disabled for any service.
- Start/pause/stop/resume/delete any service.
- Warn about dangerous actions.
- Built-in native dependency viewer.
- Shutdown local or remote machine.
YAPM works on Windows 7 and Windows XP, and supports 32 bit and 64 bit platforms.
Yet Another Process Monitor is a 1.1MB download available from SourceForge.net.
Process Hacker is an open source process monitor and active connections viewer for Windows, it allows us to view and manipulate processes, threads, tokens, modules, memory, handles, services as well as network connections easily.
Alternatives: Microsoft Process Explorer, What’s Running.
See also 5 Best Free Active Network Connections Monitor.
- Show detailed information of all running processes: file name, process id, cpu usage, I/O total, private memory.
- Allows you kill, suspend, resume, restart, debug, change the priority of each process.
- Scan and terminate hidden processes.
- List all services and manipulate them.
- List all active network connections including the following information: process name, local address, local port, remote address, remote port, protocol( TCP, UDP, TCP6, UDP6 ), state( listen, time wait, close wait, established, etc ), owner, and allows you to close it.
- Advanced features not found in other programs, such as detaching from debuggers, viewing GDI handles, viewing heaps, injecting and unloading DLLs, and more.
Process Hacker supports Windows 7, Windows XP and Vista.( 32bit and 64 bit )
Process Hacker is portable and no installation is needed.
Download it from CNET or SourceForge.
What’s Running is a powerful process monitor freeware which could tell you all of what’s happening on your Windows system, it could give you detailed information about all your system’s active processes, connections, drivers, services, with it you can kill some processes to make your computer run smoother, you can find out more information about a process, it’s an excellent utility!
What’s Running is developed by a computer genius, it’s definitely one of the best process viewer program, you could analysis the process which seems like spyware or virus and shut down it, if you are sure that there’s a virus process, you should kill the process and delete the file, if you can’t delete it you should use unlocker to unlock and remove it.
- Processes: explore all processes in a hierarchical tree view, you can view the relevant details and the memory/CPU usage information of a specified process, you can stop the process or change its priority, or check info online.
- IP-Connections: Find out information about all active IP-connections in the system. Get a list of what remote connections each program have and find out what applications are listening for connections.
- Services: Inspect what services are running and stopped, find the process for your services and inspect it’s properties easily!
- Modules: Find information about all dll:s and exe:s in use in your system. For each module you can find all processes that have loaded the module. Also you can find the full path and immediately open the folder where the file is located.
- Drivers: Find information about all drivers, for running drivers you can inspect the file version to find out the supplier of the driver.
- Startup: Manage all your startup programs. Disable, edit, delete, create new easily. Manage startup programs regardless of source (registry or Startup folder).
- System information: Show important system information about your computer, such as installed memory, processor, registered user, OS and OS version.
What’s Running supports Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7.